Thank you to our Phoenix families who helped to house our out-of-state participants on Thursday night! Despite delays, everyone arrived and had a place to spend the night. When our participants arrived at the hotel on Friday morning we went straight into Regional Board elections. We are so proud of the 15 candidates who ran for regional board. Thank you for stepping up as leaders in our community! I am pleased to announce the newly elected regional board for 2015-2016.
Highlights of the weekend included:
- Class time – the Junior class examined what to look for in Jewish life as they begin their college search while the Seniors talked with Hillel representatives and some of our alumni about Jewish life in college. Freshmen and sophomores shared experiences of being Jewish in high school, including dealing with anti-Semitism.
- We also participated in a program about why NFTY is a meaningful part of our Jewish experience.
- Friday night teens were able to choose their Shabbat worship choice from 3 services – yoga, camp, or folk songs.
- Senior circle where the seniors share memories with the region.
- Saturday morning we kicked off Shabbat morning with a service in honor of our outgoing seniors.
- Our Torah study was on struggling with the Torah, and thinking about ways we can make sure that everyone feels included in our community.
- Saturday night, we concluded Shabbat with Havdallah and our regional board installations followed by our social. We enjoyed ice cream sundaes, watched a movie, played games and looked through the NFTY-SW yearbook.
All in all, it was an incredible weekend, and I wouldn’t have expected anything less after what has been a truly outstanding year. Thanks to all our parents, staff, congregations, rabbis, and participants for making it one to remember! We will miss the graduating class of 2015, but your legacies will stay with us forever. You have led us with positivity, inclusivity, creativity, and class, and you will always be remembered and appreciated.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SOCIAL MEDIA
Following every event, Facebook is flooded with the teen’s feelings upon coming home from an event. Please help us to find more teens who are looking for a place to find friends and explore Judaism. Here are some highlights:
NFTY-SW for four years now has been one of the greatest things in my life. NFTY has made me confident, has made me a better friend, has made me a better Jew, has sparked my interest in community service and working with kids, NFTY-SW has made me, a better me.
I went to my last NFTY event this weekend. These past three years have been incredible, each event has been a mini paradise filled with laughing and hugs and I can’t thank everyone there enough for these experiences. I’m sad it’s over but so grateful that it happened.
Yesterday I got back from my last NFTY Spring Kallah smiling and with my voice almost completely shot. I’ve received many great memories from the past four years, as well as amazing friends. Thank you to everyone who made my high school years even better!