I was shocked and disheartened yesterday by the senseless shootings in El Paso and Dayton this weekend. Unfortunately, we have become accustomed to such news reports but this one hit close to home for me and I imagine most of you since once again, it happened in our region. When I first heard the news I had an immediate concern for the members of our region in that community, I thank regional board members for reaching out at letting us know that our members are safe. Unfortunately, we know this was not the case for many friends and families of the victims of this senseless crime.
This epidemic needs more than thoughts and prayers – it needs action. If you are feeling helpless and wondering what you can do to make change, here are some ways to help.
- If you are 17 or older you can give blood to help victims.
- If you are turning 18 by the next election you can register to vote. This is our civic duty, and a true vehicle for change.
- No matter your age, you can contact the senators of your state, telling them to pass the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019 which the House of Representatives passed in February.
Click here to send a letter to your senator.
- There are so many more ways we can work to make change. If anyone has more ideas they would like to share please contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We cannot wait for change to happen we have to make change happen now.
Ben Siamon, NFTY-SW Social Action Vice-President 2019-2020
- Martha McSally- (202) 224-2235 https://www.mcsally.senate.gov/contact_martha
404 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- Kyrsten Sinema-(202) 224-4521 www.sinema.senate.gov/contact-kyrsten
317 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- Catherine Cortez Masto- (202) 224-3542 https://www.cortezmasto.senate.gov/contact
516 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- Jacky Rosen- (202) 224-6244 https://www.rosen.senate.gov/contact_jacky
144 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- Martin Heinrich- (202) 224-5521 https://www.heinrich.senate.gov/contact
303 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- Tom Udall- (202) 224-6621 https://www.tomudall.senate.gov/contact
531 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- John Cornyn- (202) 224-2934 https://www.cornyn.senate.gov/contac
517 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- Ted Cruise- (202) 224-5922 https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=form&id=16
127A Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- Mike Lee- (202) 224-5444 https://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact
361A Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- Mitt Romney- (202) 224-5251 https://www.romney.senate.gov/contact-senator-romney
124 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510